Categories

Resignation A and B [all]

[Although the Anglo-Saxon Poetic Records prints this as one poem, in 1976 Bliss and Frantzen demonstrated convincingly that it is in fact two different poems spliced together because at least one leaf of the manuscript is missing. Thus lines 1-69 are generally now designated Resignation A and lines 70-119 Resignation B. I have recorded a long pause between A and B, but have posted them as one poem to keep to the ASPR nomenclature].

Resignation A: The speaker prays to God to deliver him and offers his body and soul to God. He asks for a sign of how to best serve God’s will.  God knows his many evils deeds but the speaker hopes to be received by Him even though he is unworthy.  He hopes for the life after this life even though he did not confess and atone for his sins quickly.  Although he had committed many sins, he prays that the devil not be allowed to take him.  He asks God to stand by him and steer his soul through the storm.  He is cruelly tormented by his sins in this world and is suffering because his sins were visible to many men.

Resignation B: I have spoken my words to thank god for my poverty and I have suffered hardship because I am exiled from the land of my birth.  A friendless exile cannot wait when the Lord is angry with him.  He suffers abuse from people and is sorrowful in heart at daybreak.  I speak about myself and my journey and think about the sea.  I do know know how I can buy a boat with what little gold I have and so I cannot carry out my desired journey.

A tree grows while it waits its fate.  I cannot love any mortal man in my native land. I cannot inhabit the earth without many hardships.  It is the best thing, since a man cannot change his fate, that he can endure it well.